TSLIST file and output

Compiling NMM/ARW code for EMS system, upgrading WRF cores on your own, changing EMS scripts to suit your particular needs, and other modifications to original EMS distribution goes in this forum. These are officially unsupported actions.
Giancarlo Modugno

TSLIST file and output

Post by Giancarlo Modugno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi,

I've just tried to use the tslist file, like suggested in the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69&p=301 topic. However, in the README.tslist we read in the first line
"To activate time series output in WRF, a file named "tslist" must be present in the WRF run directory."
We know that the directory structure in wrfems is different and the wrf.exe, for example, is not in a WRF directory. I've tried copying the "tslist" (without extension, I've not read anything about it) in the $EMS/runs/<domain>/ but this is deleted when ems_prep starts.

How can I do?

Second question: when is generated the output, after ems_run or I must to use ems_post in any mode?

Thank you

Antonix

Re: TSLIST file and output

Post by Antonix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Ciao Giancarlo!
I did not understand the second point!
for the first point I pull the grib file.
if you can use tslist let me know :D

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello!

Giancarlo Modugno wrote: We know that the directory structure in wrfems is different and the wrf.exe, for example, is not in a WRF directory. I've tried copying the "tslist" (without extension, I've not read anything about it) in the $EMS/runs/<domain>/ but this is deleted when ems_prep starts.

How can I do?
Yes because this is not supported via wrfems system. You should put this file somewhere else (let's say in wrfems/data/wrf directory) and then edit perl scripts in wrfems/strc directory - actual file and what to modify depends on your ems version. Editing should be done in a way so that ems system will create symlink in run directory to your file every time model starts. If you don't know how to do that, tell us your ems version.

Giancarlo Modugno wrote:Second question: when is generated the output, after ems_run or I must to use ems_post in any mode?
I think it will be during ems_run, but I'm not sure, I never tried time series list.

Giancarlo Modugno

Post by Giancarlo Modugno » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Thank you for the quickly answers

I don't know how to modify the script, the version is 3.1.1.5.1. Thanks

Personally, I hope the ouput come out after ems_post! It would be wasteful to run every time the model!

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey everybody,
Very good topic!
I have the same problem. I will create a tslist but it doesn't work. Always deleted in the runs/domain folder.
In my release folder it is written 3.1.1.5.1., the same like Giancarlo Modugno.
Can someone help to modify the pearl scripts? I don't know anything about such things.
And perhaps someone can say, where I find the output of the tslist, if it works?!?!
bye Pejman

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello,

put your tslist file (or any other file you want to have in run directory) into directory

Code: Select all

wrfems/data/tables/wrf
then open file

wrfems/strc/ems_run/run_ems.pm
find inside this block (your actual block might be somewhat different because I added few things due to v3.4 core version I use):

#  Finally create the links to the various lookup tables depending upon the
    #  core being used and we'll be off and running
    #
    my @tables = qw(CAM_ABS_DATA CAM_AEROPT_DATA ETAMPNEW_DATA ETAMPNEW_DATA.expanded_rain GENPARM.TBL grib2map.tbl gribmap.txt
                    LANDUSE.TBL  ozone.formatted ozone_lat.formatted ozone_plev.formatted RRTM_DATA
                    RRTMG_LW_DATA RRTMG_SW_DATA SOILPARM.TBL tr49t67 tr49t85 tr67t85 URBPARM.TBL VEGPARM.TBL);
and add inside this block your filename (tslist), like this:

#  Finally create the links to the various lookup tables depending upon the
    #  core being used and we'll be off and running
    #
    my @tables = qw(CAM_ABS_DATA CAM_AEROPT_DATA ETAMPNEW_DATA ETAMPNEW_DATA.expanded_rain GENPARM.TBL grib2map.tbl gribmap.txt
                    LANDUSE.TBL  ozone.formatted ozone_lat.formatted ozone_plev.formatted RRTM_DATA
                    RRTMG_LW_DATA RRTMG_SW_DATA SOILPARM.TBL tr49t67 tr49t85 tr67t85 URBPARM.TBL VEGPARM.TBL tslist);
Keep in mind, you have this block TWO times in this file, modify both places.

Now, script will create symlink from wrfems/data/tables/wrf/tslist to the run directory every time model starts.

Giancarlo Modugno

Post by Giancarlo Modugno » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Done.

I've tried with a 6-h simulation but, unfortunately, I have not found any output file relative to tslist :!:

Giancarlo Modugno

Post by Giancarlo Modugno » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm

wait!!! I'm having another simulation and I've coincidently seen the files *.ts in the run directory. Thus, there is output but this is deleted when wrfems copies the wrfout_* files in the final stage, isn't it?

If yes, what else we can do to copy the file?

Thank you

Solaris

Post by Solaris » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you very much for your help, in my case it works and creates the .ts files.
But there is still one problem with my run. I have 4 domains and it creates only for the first three a .ts file.

del1.d01.TS          
del1.d02.TS        
del1.d03.TS
I think it could be a problem of max_ts_locs, like it is written in the readme.tslist.

The maximum number of time series locations is controlled by the namelist
variable max_ts_locs, which may be specified in the &domains namelist. Also,.
the number of entries in the buffers for time series output can be set with.
the ts_buf_size variable, also found in &domains.

But I don't find anything in my namelist that match. Can I add easy a row with max_ts_locs in my namelist. real under &domains?

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Giancarlo Modugno wrote:wait!!! I'm having another simulation and I've coincidently seen the files *.ts in the run directory. Thus, there is output but this is deleted when wrfems copies the wrfout_* files in the final stage, isn't it?

If yes, what else we can do to copy the file?

Thank you
Right. Basically you should find where in scripts wrfout files are copied, then add similar commands to copy ts files. If you can't yourself I can look at this, but you will need to wait maybe few days.