Metgrid don't read sst files

Compiling NMM/ARW code for EMS system, upgrading WRF cores on your own, changing EMS scripts to suit your particular needs, and other modifications to original EMS distribution goes in this forum. These are officially unsupported actions.
Gippox

Metgrid don't read sst files

Post by Gippox » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello , i have compiled WPS 3.5 for use with wrfems, but I have a problem with the acquisition of SST data file.
If i read log i see that metdrid not process sst files (ssthr and sstsport).
This happens to wrfems 3.2 and 3.4.

Code: Select all

Processing domain 1 of 1
    /home/andrea/wrfems/runs/arw/wpsprd/SSTPTILE:2013-11-29_00:00
WARNING: Couldn't open file /home/andrea/wrfems/runs/arw/wpsprd/SSTPTILE:2013-11-29_00:00 for input.
 Processing 2013-11-30_12
    /home/andrea/wrfems/runs/arw/wpsprd/GFSPTILE
WARNING: Couldn't open file /home/andrea/wrfems/runs/arw/wpsprd/SSTPTILE:2013-11-29_00:00 for input.
Any idea on how to read even sst date :?:

meteoadriatic

Re: Metgrid don't read sst files

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. It came up that my system didn't used those files at all and I had no idea about that something bad is going on there.

The problem is because EMS ungrib creates different file name than original code. It adds :00 at the end of SST* files, probably because this was easier to code into namelist.wps that is generated on the fly for every run.

I found it is most simple to just rename files (add :00 at the end) after ungrib stage.

Solution for EMS v3.1: (for v3.2 and v3.4 it is similar but figure out correct file to edit)

1) Create shell script file and put it wherever you want (in my example into {EMS_STRC}/ems_bin directory)

#!/bin/bash

ncdir=$1

cd $ncdir

ssthr=`ls SSTHR*`
sstsport=`ls SSTSPORT*`

mv ${ssthr} ${ssthr}:00
mv ${sstsport} ${sstsport}:00

exit
Name it for example fixsst.sh

2) Edit {EMS_STRC}/ems_prep/prep_degrib.pm

At the file end, just before "return 0;", add:

system("sh $ENV{STRC_BIN}/fixsst.sh $EMSprep{WPSPRD}");
This will rename both SSTHR* and SSTSPORT* files so they will match naming convention in namelist.wps.

Gippox

Post by Gippox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 am

Hello Meteo, thanks for the solution, then i try to make this change.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 am

Go on but sstsport probably won't work correctly. Model will crash because of impossible sst data that is put into input files if you use sstsport. EMS ungrib probably does something to handle that correctly, whereas original does not. I tried to figure out what, but wasn't successful. On the other hand, ssthr seems to work OK after this solution.