Use WRF V3.6.1 vs 3.4.1 in WRFEMS.

Compiling NMM/ARW code for EMS system, upgrading WRF cores on your own, changing EMS scripts to suit your particular needs, and other modifications to original EMS distribution goes in this forum. These are officially unsupported actions.
BTSullivan91

Use WRF V3.6.1 vs 3.4.1 in WRFEMS.

Post by BTSullivan91 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:21 am

Hello all. I have a working WRFV3.6.1 installation on my server. I have edited the registry to provide me with a few outputs I wanted such as lightning calculations, etc. I did not see those options in the registry in the WRFV3.4.1 that I see in the EMS folder.. I am using the latest version of EMS I got last week from Rob.

Inside the wrfems/util/wrfems I see a readme file that says
This directory contains all the files modified from the official WRF and WPS releases
that were used to build the WRF EMS binaries found in the wrfems/bin directory.

If you wish to build the WRF locally from the official source code and use it with
the EMS then simply replace those files in the official release with the ones found
here, including the Registry files. - Enjoy!
My question is, what files exactly do I need to copy, and to where, so that I can use the WRFV3.6.1 with EMS, thus keeping my outputs for lightning, etc. I realize I would need to make corresponding changes in the namelist, etc, but I just wasn't sure exactly what went where. Is it as simple as copying the files from 3.6.1 into the WRFv3.4.1 folder? Surely not!

Thanks in advance!

meteoadriatic

Re: Use WRF V3.6.1 vs 3.4.1 in WRFEMS.

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 am

If you want to use WRF 3.6.1 in EMS v3.4 you will need to do several changes that I personally never did successfully. There are some people here that had succeed though. I use old v3.1 EMS for modifications because it is much simpler than v3.4.

Basically, you will need to compile your own binaries and just replace those wrfm_arw.exe and real_arw.exe inside wrfem/bin directory (same for nmm if you use it). Also you probably need to do some changes to wrfems/data/tables/wrf/namelist.arw to make 3.6.1 work without crashing, and possibly some modifications to perl code of EMS if something refuses to work because of possibly not compatible namelist.input that those create dynamically when you start model using them.

But as far as I know when you do all that and successfully run WRF, then several bigger problems could begin because EMS unipost expects modified inputs from WRF netcdf files, and that is because of WRF being modified by STRC (as you found already). So, using original WRF code with EMS UPP won't work, and trying to use original UPP binary into EMS 3.4 failed for me. Also, trying to use EMS v3.4 patches inside WRF 3.6.1 code required too much efforts and I just have no time to do that. I basically gave up from all those hassle. That was my experience, I hope somebody else could give you better ideas how to use WRF 3.6.1 in EMS 3.4.

Also you will be better to upgrade WPS files if you upgrade WRF.

smartie

Post by smartie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 am

As with Ivan I think you will find it rather difficult to incorporate Bob's mods into the 3.6.1 code- it requires intimate knowledge of the WRF code and the mods.
You will find that 3.6.1 has many mods over 3.5/3.4 to help output diagnostics. 3.6.1 also has the AFWA in-line diagnostics-however, I have found these slow the model down considerably.
I have 3.6.1 running within the EMS workflow-
- copy the 3.6.1 vegparm.tbl and replace the 3.4.1 table.
- my notes on run-time output stream mods-
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=593&p=3805&hilit=a+ ... tput#p2677
- i found that the EMS 3.4.1 wps exes seems to work fine in preprocessing for 3.5/3.6
- IIRC the EMS 3.4 UPP also worked with 3.5.1, haven't tried with 3.6.1

I'll try and help any further problems you have...
David

smartie

Post by smartie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 am

Oh- you may need to modify the master ARW namelist and add to namelist.conf as well -depending on the exact setup you want.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am

smartie wrote:- IIRC the EMS 3.4 UPP also worked with 3.5.1, haven't tried with 3.6.1
Then probably something changed from early v3.4 EMS versions. I had problems with precipitation not showing in grib files and similar other issues. Maybe that was just my mistake somewhere.

BTSullivan91

Post by BTSullivan91 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Oh... My goodness.. High chance of none of that happening...

The reason I wanted to use the 3.6.1 is I noticed no lightning output was available in the current EMS, I thought maybe this was due to WRF version, since I also didn't see anything in the registry... With my WRF, I have been working a lot to automate it, get custom outputs such as a hail algorithm I am working on for research, I edited my registry to get the CG/IG flash counts, and also I really like some of the AFWA Icing/Turbulence products. So I had all these outputting fine...

The main I reason I came to EMS was I was not able to master WRFDA. We have successfully used LAPS on EMS and figured it was the closest I would get to DA with full WRF, so I came to EMS. Clearly it won't be as simple as I hoped..

I see the turbulence and lightning stuff in the emsupp parm file but not turned on yet until he figures something out, I guess?

Back to full WRF I guess!

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:30 pm

BTSullivan91 wrote:The main I reason I came to EMS was I was not able to master WRFDA.
Unfortunatelly that is something EMS still missing.

Can you please give us a hint what to edit in registry to get lightning forecast? I was wondering why I can't get it when UPP supports it but now I believe I know why. I would appreciate if you can save me some time searching actual things in registry? Thx :)

BTSullivan91

Post by BTSullivan91 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Edit the Registry.EM_COMMON in your WRF directory in (for me) /root/wrf/WRFV3.6.1/Registry.. Scroll to the bottom , or use the search command to search for lightning... When you find it, you will see h, you need to make that into rh to write the variable.

# lightning

state real ic_flashcount ij misc 1 - h "ic_flashcount" "Accumulated IC flash count" "#"
state real ic_flashrate ij misc 1 - r "ic_flashrate" "IC flash rate" "#/s"
state real cg_flashcount ij misc 1 - h "cg_flashcount" "Accumulated CG flash count" "#"
state real cg_flashrate ij misc 1 - r "cg_flashrate" "CG flash rate" "#/s"

Note, I still cannot find a way to get these variables through UPP even though I have the lightning turned on in my parm file.. So, these are only in netcdf wrfout files.. When I get the grib data, the variables are in there but the values are null... Dunno.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 pm

I see. I'll try and report back what I got.

BTSullivan91

Post by BTSullivan91 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 pm

I should add you need to recompile after the registry changes..