WRF 3.7 and lake physics

Compiling NMM/ARW code for EMS system, upgrading WRF cores on your own, changing EMS scripts to suit your particular needs, and other modifications to original EMS distribution goes in this forum. These are officially unsupported actions.
windyweek

WRF 3.7 and lake physics

Post by windyweek » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Greetings all,

I'm hacking with WRF 3.7 using it for lake surface temperature forecasts with the new sf_lake_physics option. Although it works quite well (in my opinion) for large/known lakes, I would like to add my own information so it can resolve and predict the temperature of even small lakes as well. So, if anyone has any information on the following below, I would be very glad to know it :)

1) Some of the lakes are not available at all in the static land use data. I found another topic viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141 which suggests good steps how to modify the land use but before I go that way - has anyone managed to do that on the modis_lakes dataset?

2) Although there is a large database for lake depths in geodata (lake_depth directory), how can I hack it to add additional information there? All the files seems to be binary ones but I'm not able to any found information on the format being used.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Ivan