WRF EMS release 3.4.1

All issues/questions about EMS v3.4 package, please ask here.
vanyalide

WRF EMS release 3.4.1

Post by vanyalide » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:03 am

Dear All,
I am trying to install ems release 3.4.1 and I am geeting errors. Can anybody assist me please.
I appreciate the assistance you are constantly provining on this forum.
The error I am getting is as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[root@localhost tmp]# ./ems_install.pl --install 3.4.1.13.19

Greetings clearly intelligent and devastatingly good-looking EMS user!

Welcome to the NWS SOO Science and Training Resource Center (SOO/STRC) Weather Research
and Forecasting (WRF) Environmental Modeling System (EMS) installation and update routine.

Phew! That's more than a mouthful.

* Checking http connection to soostrc.comet.ucar.edu - Contacted

* Connecting to soostrc.comet.ucar.edu to get requested information

! EMS Inspirational Message #752 - Help Me, Help You

Hey, I know you are trying to help but the target binary you requested (x64) is
not supported in EMS release 3.4.1.13.19. You choices are:

"The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become."
- Mark Twain

Your Installation is Incomplete - Now go forth and fix the problem!

Nigel Says - "EMS, It's taking mesoscale modeling to 11"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do I need to do here?
Thanks
Charles Vanya

meteoadriatic

Re: WRF EMS release 3.4.1

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40 am

That version is not supported anymore. You need latest one.

mehdi

Post by mehdi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am

Hi,
I am have to install and try EMS on a computer on which I don't have all the rights (big company computer with nasty centralized "one fits all" IT division). I dealt the OS issue with VirtualBox but I'm stuck with disk space : as I cannot resize the logical drives I cannot install UEMS with its very big static files. With EMS 3.4 it would be ok. Is there an alternative repository where I could find the files to download to get my own repository ?
Or would it be possible to get rid of some of UEMS files ? I'm aware that it wouldn't be a long term solution, but that would at least help me to convince some people that there is an interest in that amazing stuff.

Thanks a lot for any help.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am

Hello, installer has --nogeog or something like that if I remember correctly. There are also some other switches to disable downloading optional stuff. Check out with ems_install.sh --help

Then to create domain download only geog files you will really need:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/down ... _geog.html

Other option is to mount USB drive or any other type external drive into filesystem and download there, then remove what you don't need, then move what remains to suitable directory.

I'm sure there are even more creative ways to do so :)

mehdi

Post by mehdi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot I will try that !
Actually I have downloaded the whole uems distribution files on a usb drive to create a local repository. Is there any way to tell ems_prep routine (or dwiz ?) to refer to those archive files if a new domain is defined ?

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Yes, there is geog_data_path entry in namelist.wps (file inside static subdirectory of your domain).

However, I don't remember if it is possible to set it somewhere in dwiz or tell UEMS somehow where those files are. I don't use EMS long time now anymore.

So first try it, define path directly in your namelist.wps file and try to recreate domain. See if it works. If it fails, check if path you entered in namelist.wps has been overwritten or not...

Good luck. Let us know if it works.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Just got on my mind. You can also make the entry that is already in namelist.wps a symlink that points to your actual location of geog files.

But maybe you don't have yet directory tree of your domain and namelist.wps inside static subdirectory? In that case try to create domain without geog files first (it will fail but I guess it will create directory tree and namelist.wps) and then proceed with one of suggestions.

mehdi

Post by mehdi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi,
thanks again for your for your help. I have not yet been able to test your solution (untaring those geog files takes a lot of time) but while extracting I looked at the different config files : maybe changing the line

EMS_DATA=$EMS_HOME/data

in the file EMS.profile into the right path for my external hard drive (and copying of course not only the geog files but also the other data folders) would be enough ?

Another question : once I have a well defined domain, do I need access to the /data/geog folder ? Translated into my situation : if my solution eventually works, do I still need to have my external hard drive plugged once the domain is defined in the domain wizard ?

You can of course tell me that I have to test it by myself and tell you if it works :roll:

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm

mehdi wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm
Hi,
thanks again for your for your help. I have not yet been able to test your solution (untaring those geog files takes a lot of time) but while extracting I looked at the different config files : maybe changing the line

EMS_DATA=$EMS_HOME/data

in the file EMS.profile into the right path for my external hard drive (and copying of course not only the geog files but also the other data folders) would be enough ?
Yes, should work! That is excellent finding.
mehdi wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm
Another question : once I have a well defined domain, do I need access to the /data/geog folder ? Translated into my situation : if my solution eventually works, do I still need to have my external hard drive plugged once the domain is defined in the domain wizard ?

You can of course tell me that I have to test it by myself and tell you if it works :roll:
No, after you create domain geog files are not needed anymore. You can revert back your changes to EMS_DATA variable then.

mehdi

Post by mehdi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 am

It doesn't work : I even changed the path in ems_domain.pl file. When I try to localize the domain, either with domain wizard or ems_domain --localize routine the software still points to the inital uems/data/geog folder and not to the folder I defined both in EMS.profile and ems_domain. To circumvent that I will finally copy all the geog files but the nlcd folders since they are huge and are focused in the US which is not my region of interest.

In the non EMS version of dwiz there seems to be a config mode. Is it the case in the version distributed with EMS ?

If anyone has a hint on those path definition stuff, please tell me.