automation not work

Questions and other topics related to UEMS 18.
dominic

automation not work

Post by dominic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Hello to all. I successfully installed the new UEMS. Everything runs smoothly if I want to run a run and create files for ncl or grads.

The problem is in the automation, I had basically created a script .sh that with crontab I launched at a specific time containing common commands such as:

./ems_prep.pl --length 24 --dset gfsp50ptile --cycle 00

The operating system I use is debian, the old version worked fine, but the script does not work on this. That is, if I try to run the script by double clicking and then "execute", the terminal closes immediately without any operation.

If instead I open the terminal and launch the script directly from it it works correctly. for example, stated in the terminal ./script.sh

Not even crontab can start the run.

Can someone help me?

dominic

Re: automation not work

Post by dominic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 pm

here it comes out in the terminal when I run the script, after which it closes

Let's get this UEMS Prep party started!

Mark Twain wished he had said: "Think Globally, Model Locally!"

dominic

Post by dominic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I confirm that the model works well, if I enter the commands manually via terminal the run is executed and the files for grads and ncl are produced correctly. but automation does not work

robncyns

Post by robncyns » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:07 am

Sorry if I insult you with this but is the program marked as an executable? I had that issue years ago where the permission was changed and I killed myself over it.

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am

Hi, of course I made the executable file, chmod + x. The problem is that noon works the same, the script launched from terminal (open) manually goes. But if you have to run it crontab or double click on it and then click on it does not work.

Tested on Debian and Ubuntu same thing. On fedora instead it works .....

Or am I or there is some problem

lcana

Post by lcana » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Dominic,

I have a similar problem but with CentOS7! I can run from terminal commands like "ems_autorun" and the execution runs fine. However, cron commands don't work. Here is my example:
****CRON line*****
00 21 * * * /home/lcana/uems/strc/Ubin/ems_autorun-wrapper.sh --rundir /home/lcana/uems/runs/nw > /home/lcana/uems/logs/ems_autorunNW.log 2>&1

And this is the result (ems_autorunNW.log):
/bin/sh: /home/lcana/uems/strc/Ubin/ems_autorun-wrapper.sh: don't exist file or directory

Some links seem to be broken, because the file is indeed there and I can run the simulation from the command line. I wonder if there is any difference between tcshell and bash scripts. As far as I can remember, old scripts should be run from tcsh...

Any idea?

Luis

meteosciez

Post by meteosciez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am

lcana wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am

****CRON line*****
00 21 * * * /home/lcana/uems/strc/Ubin/ems_autorun-wrapper.sh --rundir /home/lcana/uems/runs/nw > /home/lcana/uems/logs/ems_autorunNW.log 2>&1

And this is the result (ems_autorunNW.log):
/bin/sh: /home/lcana/uems/strc/Ubin/ems_autorun-wrapper.sh: don't exist file or directory
Hi Icana,
The new wrapper script in UEMS 18 is uems_autorun-wrapper.sh and not ems_autorun.wrapper.sh. That should be the reason why you have this error.
meteo-sciez.fr

norulz

Post by norulz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

Also note that ..../strc/EMSbin is now ....strc/Ubin

lcana

Post by lcana » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 am

Sh**t! I didn't notice the change! Now it's running as it should. Thanks you all,

Luis

dominic

Post by dominic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

guys i do not use your system to automate the run.

If I wanted to use your system how can I do? , I need it to download the data for a given domain and run the run. I did it until the last version of uems, now it does not work anymore ....