EMS v3 beta nesting crashes constantly

Forum dedicated to older versions of EMS package (WRFEMS v3.2, v3.1 or older). Support is user-to-user based, so please help others if you can.
cubemonkey

Re: EMS v3 beta nesting crashes constantly

Post by cubemonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Good to hear! Maybe not your perfect set up, but something is better than nothing :) Looks like you're definitely narrowing things down..

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 pm

Well, I lowered resolution to 36km on MOAD (edited last working domains) and all still worked.... then... created new domains over my area, 36km MOAD... all three nesting domains centered over same location, and it WORKED :) Checked in GrADS, perfectly! Then moved nests little bit using namelist editor in dwiz... relocalized domain.... run again.... worked :D :D And then internet connection seems to be lost to workstation where I do testing :lol: So I don't know if it finished but it worked few minutes so it will be ok. Or... or system get kernel panic, I cannot check now, nobody is there in office currently because it is sunday. I get frequent kernel panics when test WRF in vmware, but I doubt it is case there on live system, probably just ADSL connection failure... will find out in few hours what happened.

So it seems, so far so good! But I still used your "manual" starting ems_prep, ems_run and ems_post.

I'll come back you with status updates when I get some news from office.

:)

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:40 pm

OK here is the update....

After reestablishing ADSL link I found that last run completed OK so I decided to install v3 on operational workstation! I made domains and copied domain properties from test machine through namelist editor in dwiz, and localized domains... and it works on new system! Great! I don't really know where issue is (was), but I will try to find it anyway! My current thinking is that dwiz has problems when you move nests with mouse. I think it does not track your movements good and prints false numbers in namelist.wps! I think that because in these last cases when model works always, I created nests all with their centres on same coordinates, then localized domains like that, exited dwiz, entered it again, opened namelist editor and then moved nests for a little by changing numbers, then relocalized domains. Finally, to find out where nest really is, started model and checked domains in GrADS. Then again fine tuned nests, relocalized.... and so on until I'm happy with position and sizes of nests!

Well, now my run crashed after 10 minutes on operational machine, that didn't happen yet on test machine. But this is something related to computing... I will try to fix this myself first.

Also, I'm running again autorun script and it works also so this was not problem. I didn't find way to initialize run with 06f instead of 00 analyze using ems_prep/ems_run by hand but I like to throw away first 6 hours to save little bit of computing time, so I switched back to autorun script.

So, thaks Bill! What to say else :D

cubemonkey

Post by cubemonkey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am

You might be on to something with moving things around with the mouse.. I had one I was playing with a lot. Once it ran, I looked at the post processed image and it was shifted to the west by quite a ways. (The area I was interested in wasn't even in there). Though when I went back into dwiz, it was where it was supposed to be. Who knows what's going on there. Just recreated it and am waiting for it to finish ..

Glad you're up and going!

dinesjnu

Post by dinesjnu » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi,
I am new in WRF-Model. I try to configure wrf-3.1. After configuring it shows some problem as mentioned below:

Please select from among the following supported platforms.

1. Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler with gcc (serial)

2. Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler with gcc (smpar)

3. Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler with gcc (dmpar)

4. Linux i486 i586 i686, gfortran compiler with gcc (dm+sm)

5. Linux i486 i586 i686, g95 compiler with gcc (serial)

6. Linux i486 i586 i686, g95 compiler with gcc (dmpar)

7. Linux i486 i586 i686, PGI compiler with gcc (serial)

8. Linux i486 i586 i686, PGI compiler with gcc (smpar)

9. Linux i486 i586 i686, PGI compiler with gcc (dmpar)

10. Linux i486 i586 i686, PGI compiler with gcc (dm+sm)

11. Linux x86_64 i486 i586 i686, ifort compiler with icc (serial)

12. Linux x86_64 i486 i586 i686, ifort compiler with icc (smpar)

13. Linux x86_64 i486 i586 i686, ifort compiler with icc (dmpar)

14. Linux x86_64 i486 i586 i686, ifort compiler with icc (dm+sm)

15. Linux i486 i586 i686 x86_64, PathScale compiler with pathcc (serial)

16. Linux i486 i586 i686 x86_64, PathScale compiler with pathcc (dmpar)

Enter selection [1-16] : 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compile for nesting? (0=no nesting, 1=basic, 2=preset moves, 3=vortex following) [default 0]: 1

cannot append configure.wrf at arch/Config_new.pl line 495.

I am not getting what is the problem. I read your post about model-crash, and hope to have help from you in better way. I feel you have come across this type of problem.

Expecting reply soon,

Dinesh Kumar
Research Scholar
JNU, SES
New Delhi-110067
INDIA

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:51 am

Hello dinesjnu,

welcome to the board. To make things on it clean, I opened new topic for your problem in a more appropriate subforum, here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18

I also wrote my opinion in reply.