TILES (gfsptile, rucptile, namptile, ect.)

Forum dedicated to older versions of EMS package (WRFEMS v3.2, v3.1 or older). Support is user-to-user based, so please help others if you can.
Lara.Pagano

TILES (gfsptile, rucptile, namptile, ect.)

Post by Lara.Pagano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick set of questions.

By default, if I run WRF EMS is uses gfsptile. In the gfsptile.gribinfo.conf file it does not specify any tiles (TILE= ). I thought we were suppose to put the tile numbers we needed here. If it is blank how come it still runs? Is it grabbing all the tiles if there are no tiles specified? And how can I look at which tile numbers are needed? According to the NAM Tiles (an image I found on the web) I need 32,33, 16 and 17. Are those the same corresponding numbers for the tiles within the RUC and GFS.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can clarify these issues for me!!! ;)

Lara

meteoadriatic

Re: TILES (gfsptile, rucptile, namptile, ect.)

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello,

for GFS, tiles are created dynamically after client request (during running ems_prep), depending on your domain specification. ems_prep reads wrfems/runs/domainname/static/namelist.wps and uses domain specification found there to pass min/max latitude and longitude values in tile request.

I don't know if that is also true for other than GFS tiles.

Lara.Pagano

Re: TILES (gfsptile, rucptile, namptile, ect.)

Post by Lara.Pagano » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Thank you! I thought this might be the case, but was unsure how it worked. I will assume it is the same for the NAM and RUC unless I get an error.

Lara