Cloud cover measured in OKTAs

Forum dedicated to older versions of EMS package (WRFEMS v3.2, v3.1 or older). Support is user-to-user based, so please help others if you can.
Mauricio_S

Cloud cover measured in OKTAs

Post by Mauricio_S » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi, i'm from Chile and i have been working with wrfout, i see the influence of climate change on pavement design and i need some weather variables for it, as for example cloud clover (measured in OKTA, from 1 to 8,
on this page explain the variable that I need http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okta).
I was able only to find the variable CLDFRA which just gives me values 1 and 0, that does not help me.
Can anyone tell me if I can get the variable that I need (cloud cover or something)? i would be very thankful for it!!

another thing with i have problems is the vertical levels, in the configuration 45 vertical levels were used, but i don't know wich is wich (meters).

meteoadriatic

Re: Cloud cover measured in OKTAs

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Do you postprocess wrfout into grib format or you absolutely have requirement to work with wfrout directly?

Mauricio_S

Post by Mauricio_S » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:07 pm

meteoadriatic wrote:Do you postprocess wrfout into grib format or you absolutely have requirement to work with wfrout directly?
grib format (190 horizontal x 70 vertical, and 45 vertical lvls)

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:46 am

In grib cloud cover should be in percents. Which software do you use to read grib files?

Mauricio_S

Post by Mauricio_S » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:48 am

meteoadriatic wrote:In grib cloud cover should be in percents. Which software do you use to read grib files?
NCL
what is the name of "cloud cover"? (like...cloud fraction->"CLDFRA")