WRF EMS on Ubuntu info

You know something useful, tips&tricks, have some unofficial documentation...? Please share your knowledge with us in this section of EMS forum. * * * Please DON'T open topics with questions in this section! * * *
Zoyx

WRF EMS on Ubuntu info

Post by Zoyx » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:16 am

Here are some "get-started" notes that'll get you going on WRF-EMS on Ubuntu. dwiz works fine without additional libraries if I recall correctly. I installed Ubuntu from their liveCD. Version is the x86 9.04 version.

sudo apt-get install csh
sudo apt-get install tcsh
// Yup, no c-shell in the default install. You then have to make csh or tcsh the default shell for the user you are installing the WRF under. Log off then back on after changing the default shell. Make sure .cshrc
is present in your home directory so the WRF-EMS install script can insert a few additional lines. ems.cshrc is sourced in .cshrc... might have to put that in manually... can't remember off-hand.

Edit: You have to manually create .cshrc. After WRF-EMS install, check to make sure ems.cshrc is sourced in .cshrc.

sudo apt-get install build-essentials
// Don't know if this is needed, but like to have it around in case we are compiling something.

sudo mv /bin/sh /bin/sh-move-out-of-the-way
sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh
// Doing this move and symbolic link is necessary to get rid of some syntax errors.

When running the install script, run it under the user that you want to have control of the WRF. Don't be running it under root or sudo. The script messes up the ownership when installed this way.

You will also need to use the wget method to do a network install (ems_install.pl --http --wget) and not the curl way. Using curl doesn't seem to work. Ubuntu doesn't come with curl installed by default anyway. If you want curl - sudo apt-get install curl.

In order to use Grads, need to install some libraries. If I read my notes correctly, it is these legacy libraries found here. Three of them, install them in order.

Garp needed a library... this one isn't legacy... sudo apt-get install libg2c0

To do a cluster, need to install ssh and nfs
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client // then have to set up two way passwordless ssh. Don't have good instructions for that. I finally got it to work from trial and error from various instructions found on the web. Here are some.

For NFS... a good howto. For reference, here is the WRF EMS user guide instructions for NFS... but I didn't follow those too closely.

You may run into problems with the ubuntu software firewall. A reference if you do... https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguid ... ewall.html .
Last edited by Zoyx on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wettersat

Re: Ubuntu info

Post by wettersat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:08 am

Have you also tried 64 bit version?

Zoyx

Re: Ubuntu info

Post by Zoyx » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 pm

>> Have you also tried 64 bit version?

Not yet.