NEMS NMMB topic

All other topics about postprocessing model data (GrADS and other software), about other numerical weather prediction software (including WRF-NMM and WRF-ARW discussion unrelated to UEMS/WRF EMS), and general meteorology talk go in this forum.
meteoadriatic

Re: NEMS NMMB topic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu May 19, 2016 11:03 am

Empty fields at intialization time are pretty much normal, but common sense tells me, that if you use DFI they should show up! Try and see if works that way, but you really should not look seriously at that initialization time and first few hours of forecast because of time needed for model spin-up (DFI helps there of course).

Ivana

Post by Ivana » Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Empty fields at intialization time are pretty much normal, but common sense tells me, that if you use DFI they should show up! Try and see if works that way, but you really should not look seriously at that initialization time and first few hours of forecast because of time needed for model spin-up (DFI helps there of course).
Thanks, it works that way. :) Now I have to see how different digital filters effects on forecast. I know that I don't have to take seriously first 5-6 hours of forecast (when I run model for 24 hours), but I needed that wind in 00. :) Now I have other problem. When I set up forecast hour in namelist for example on 24, I get forecast only for 23 hours. Do I have to change something in the code (like > or >=) or the problem is something else?

Ivana

Post by Ivana » Mon May 30, 2016 10:07 am

Hello,
I did a little research with NMMB model regarding to wind speed, and I notice that it gives a lower wind speed on 10m, especially around mountains. Did anyone notice the same and maybe have some idea how to handle that. Thanks. :)

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Mon May 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Do you use GWD?

oib

Post by oib » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Ivana wrote:Hello,
I did a little research with NMMB model regarding to wind speed, and I notice that it gives a lower wind speed on 10m, especially around mountains. Did anyone notice the same and maybe have some idea how to handle that. Thanks. :)
Hello Ivana,
I confirm NMB wind speed is a little lower than NMM and much lower than ARW (topo_wind enabled for me).
Need further study, but my impression is that the speeds provided by NMB are the closest to the measurements made by anemometers.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:31 pm

oib wrote:topo_wind enabled
Hi,

topo_wind=1 in my opinion is completely broken. topo_wind=2 works much better.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Ivana wrote:[Now I have other problem. When I set up forecast hour in namelist for example on 24, I get forecast only for 23 hours. Do I have to change something in the code (like > or >=) or the problem is something else?
Ivana, this happened to me today. It turned out that it was because I forgot to correctly set run length (nhours_fcst) which I left to greater value then total number of hours of available boco fields.

Ivana

Post by Ivana » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:38 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Do you use GWD?
Yes, I use GWD. I try to run model with and without GWD, but there is no big difference. Wind speed is greater without GWD in some areas, but not much.

Ivana

Post by Ivana » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:57 am

oib wrote:
Ivana wrote:Hello,
Hello Ivana,
I confirm NMB wind speed is a little lower than NMM and much lower than ARW (topo_wind enabled for me).
Need further study, but my impression is that the speeds provided by NMB are the closest to the measurements made by anemometers.
Oib,
I agree with you that we need further studies, to confirm the results for sure. I compare NMMB with some other models, like ETA, and there is a difference in pressure fields, especially around Alps.

Ivana

Post by Ivana » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:03 am

meteoadriatic wrote:
Ivana wrote:[Now I have other problem. When I set up forecast hour in namelist for example on 24, I get forecast only for 23 hours. Do I have to change something in the code (like > or >=) or the problem is something else?
Ivana, this happened to me today. It turned out that it was because I forgot to correctly set run length (nhours_fcst) which I left to greater value then total number of hours of available boco fields.
Thanks. :) The same thing happened to me. Now everything is ok.