GFS next major version - 4D-VAR and hourly output to 120h

All other topics about postprocessing model data (GrADS and other software), about other numerical weather prediction software (including WRF-NMM and WRF-ARW discussion unrelated to UEMS/WRF EMS), and general meteorology talk go in this forum.
praveen

Re: GFS next major version - 4D-VAR and hourly output to 120h

Post by praveen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:35 am

hi
where or how can we get/update new Vtable for this new 4dvar based hourly GFS forecast data sets, Current GFS based Vtable for WRF ARW 3.7 now gives error "ERROR in Subroutine PARSE_TABLE" not able to read Vtable:

Thanks and regards

Praveen

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 am

Hello,

I didn't changed my vtables in either ARW, NMM or NMMB installations and all works like before GFS update.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Does anybody feel that cloud cover in 1h steps is somehow broken? From for example f01h up to f06h cloud cover gets less and less defined, almost like averaging somehow more and more, and then on f07h clouds suddenly "jump" to good definition like on f01h.. then all over up to f12h/f13h where new "jump" happen and so on...

Anybody has idea what is going on there?

Here is example: http://www.meteoadriatic.net/pub/clouds_01.gif

mnauprsk

Post by mnauprsk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Hello,
could you explain why on some sites (typiccaly in case of Vienna and 10m Wind, I see plots on http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/default.aspx) are GFS ansambles strongly biased in comparison with operational GFS forecast? Is it due to different orography model used in GFS OP and GFS ENS or is there some other reason.
Thank you.
Lukas