Process data inside arbitrary area (shapefile)

All other topics about postprocessing model data (GrADS and other software), about other numerical weather prediction software (including WRF-NMM and WRF-ARW discussion unrelated to UEMS/WRF EMS), and general meteorology talk go in this forum.
meteoadriatic

Process data inside arbitrary area (shapefile)

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 pm

Hello,

Does anybody know good method to process data inside area defined by arbitrary shapefile?

For example, if I create arbitrary shapefile for a region of interest, for example, a country, and then I want to for example average temperature inside that area, how can I do that?

I know that should be possible if I convert that shapefile into GrADS maskout file (ctl) using MeteoInfo, and then load two ctl files in GrADS, first the model output, then maskout file, and finally mask everything that is outside of that mask... Yes in theory that should work, but this method is not very practical because I have to match grids of model and mask perfectly or GrADS can't work with them. This means for any change in model domain I have to recreate by hand the mask file, using MeteoInfo GUI. OK maybe for one region but if you have them a lot this is unacceptable. Also I still have not been able to match mask grid to model grid in MeteoInfo when did testing so this is also a problem even if this theory works.

Does anybody know better idea? Does not have to include GrADS if something else works fine. A python script maybe?

Thx

smartie

Re: Process data inside arbitrary area (shapefile)

Post by smartie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:15 pm

meteoadriatic

Re: Process data inside arbitrary area (shapefile)

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Thx, looks promising!