AMD Ryzen released!

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
dominic

AMD Ryzen released!

Post by dominic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 am

Hello to all

AMD has finally released ZEN, the new processor which they say comes to the most renowned i7 power, like the 6800k and 6900K. In particular the solution to 8 cores can compete directly with the 6900K / 6950k, resulting in even more performing, with a lower TDP and performance in higher speeds. The real gem is the cost, a 6900K now costs over 1000 euro, while a ZEN 8-core according to the latest rumors will cost about 500 Euros.

Now I wonder, WRF might work on this platform, with the same results or even better than Intel solutions in 6/8 core?

Obviously always speak of I7, I'm leaving out the Xeon processors

meteoadriatic

Re: AMD Ryzen released!

Post by meteoadriatic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:54 pm

First samples started to come at PassMark:
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AM ... 0X&id=2966

Looks good for the price.

dominic

Post by dominic » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 am

dominic wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 am
Hello to all

AMD has finally released ZEN, the new processor which they say comes to the most renowned i7 power, like the 6800k and 6900K. In particular the solution to 8 cores can compete directly with the 6900K / 6950k, resulting in even more performing, with a lower TDP and performance in higher speeds. The real gem is the cost, a 6900K now costs over 1000 euro, while a ZEN 8-core according to the latest rumors will cost about 500 Euros.

Now I wonder, WRF might work on this platform, with the same results or even better than Intel solutions in 6/8 core?

Obviously always speak of I7, I'm leaving out the Xeon processors

hello ivan! I was expecting something more, amd spoke of better performance to the 6900K. I see that even beats
some 10 core xeon, will thanks to highest clock, even has a dtp of 95w.

But the question is ... EMS runs well on this processor ?, is not that in the end we have inferior performance to an Intel 6800 for example ....

I'm curious to try this platform.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not huge optimist. AMD arhitecture in past did not have very good performance in WRF.

For EMS, it depends in my opinion if it is optimized with PGI for this new CPU. I don't know much about PGI and of course don't know how EMS binaries are built. So I can't predict anything. We will see when someone tries it. Who knows, maybe it will be good.

For those who compile WRF themself but does not have access to PGI, AMD is unfortunatelly still pretty much worthless. Compiled with gfortran I think it will work very slow. Because of that I'm personally not much excited about Ryzen itself, but I'm still very happy because I believe this will force Intel to work harder on performance enhancements in future.