Server choice... RAM or CPU power?

Looking for new hardware to run WRF? Intel or AMD? Check this forum.
meteo-melin

Re: Server choice... RAM or CPU power?

Post by meteo-melin » Wed May 20, 2015 6:23 am

Thank you for the link.

What about an Intel Xeon E3 1220 v2 (4c/4t @ 3.1 GHz) - 16Go DDR3 ECC?

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed May 20, 2015 12:30 pm

meteo-melin wrote:Thank you for the link.

What about an Intel Xeon E3 1220 v2 (4c/4t @ 3.1 GHz) - 16Go DDR3 ECC?
I would guess it will be ~20% slower than i7 2600.

windyweek

Post by windyweek » Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 am

I never knew Hetzner have marketplace/auction for HPC servers, that's very interesting.

I'll be a bit off-topic but hope the information shared here might be useful to everybody.

So, meteoadriatic, a couple of questions :)

1) Do you use Hetzner for real production use (running WRF on their servers)? If yes - are you happy with the service?
2) Does taking a server from the marketplace/auction have any disadvantages?

My story: I'm about to collocate my own servers to a data center in a month or so. However, given that: 1) they are slower than the ones I see on Hetzner marketplace 2) collocating them will be more expensive, I'm now reconsidering my initial strategy.

Thanks!

Regards,
Ivan

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu May 28, 2015 12:13 pm

windyweek wrote:I never knew Hetzner have marketplace/auction for HPC servers, that's very interesting.
Well, that's just normal computers, far away from HPC, but again, better than nothing :)
windyweek wrote: I'll be a bit off-topic but hope the information shared here might be useful to everybody.
So, meteoadriatic, a couple of questions :)
windyweek wrote: 1) Do you use Hetzner for real production use (running WRF on their servers)? If yes - are you happy with the service?
Yes, extensively. Purchasing your own hardware on long run is better value, but if you can't afford or don't have infrastructure then this is great value. Hetzner's service is very good and reliable. I had only one issue with them when they immediatelly blocked one of web servers because client got pishing malware, no single warning in advance was issued. IMHO that was indeed very serious issue because they cut all traffic to whole server without single notice in advance. Apart from that, no problems yet with Hetzner.
windyweek wrote: 2) Does taking a server from the marketplace/auction have any disadvantages?
No. Those are used computers, but I found no single problem.

windyweek

Post by windyweek » Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Thanks meteoadriatic, very useful information!