Is there really benefit using --sfc rtgsst in the Mediterranean area?

Questions and other topics related to UEMS 15.
norulz

Is there really benefit using --sfc rtgsst in the Mediterranean area?

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:47 pm

Hello all,

I'm running forecasts in the Mediterranean area using dset gfsp25 for initialization and boundary conditions. I have also been using a static surface file - namely rtgsst

It appears that there is more recent and better surface temperature data in the gfs dset files than in the rtgsst file. Is there really any benefit in using a static surface file in this case?

Thanks,
David

meteoadriatic

Re: Is there really benefit using --sfc rtgsst in the Mediterranean area?

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:53 pm

norulz wrote:It appears that there is more recent and better surface temperature data in the gfs dset files than in the rtgsst file. Is there really any benefit in using a static surface file in this case?
Hello, I have the same impression. SST has little bit better resolution than GFS but as data is ~1 day old, in my opinion it can lag too much, especially when strong winds mix surface and deep sea layer fast. I personally do not use sst when I use 0.25° gfs.

norulz

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

norulz

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Have you seen the data available from Mercator-Ocean (distributed by CMEMS)?

They have high resolution sea surface temperature (in centigrade) for the entire Mediterranean in netcdf format. I'm not sure if it is suitable for use in WRF initialization.

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Possibly, can you give direct link to nc files?

norulz

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 pm

One needs to register and then download via their interface.
I sent you a PM with a dropbox link that has a sample sst file.

norulz

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm

More exploring.....

... they also have a 1km SST of the Med which is updated daily. This is specifically SST and is in Kelvin.
(sample in the dropbox).

Keen to know if it might be useful.

Thanks,
David

norulz

Post by norulz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 pm

The SST product data sheet:

hort description:
For the Mediterranean Sea- The CNR MED Sea Surface Temperature provides daily gap-free maps (L4) at 0.0625deg. x 0.0625deg. horizontal resolution over the Mediterranean Sea. The data are obtained from infra-red measurements collected by satellite radiometers and statistical interpolation. It is the MyOcean sea surface temperature nominal operational product for the Mediterranean Sea.
Detailed description:
In the framework of CMEMS, different remotely-sensed Sea Surface Temperature (SST) products are operationally produced and distributed in near-real time by the Istituto di Scienze dell’Atmosfera e del Clima - Gruppo di Oceanografia da Satellite (ISAC-GOS). These SST products are based on the night-time images collected by the infrared sensors mounted on different satellite platforms, and cover the Southern European Seas (i.e. the Mediterranean Sea (MED product), including the eastern Atlantic Ocean, and the Black Sea (BS product)). The ISAC-GOS processing chain includes several modules, from the data extraction and preliminary quality control, to cloudy pixel removal and satellite images collating/merging. A two-step algorithm finally allows to interpolate SST data at high (HR 0.0625°) and ultra-high (UHR 0.01°) spatial resolution, applying statistical techniques. These L4 data are also used to estimate the SST anomaly with respect to a pentad climatology. The basic design and the main algorithms used in the MyOcean processing chain are described in the following paper.
Reference:
Buongiorno Nardelli B., C.Tronconi, A. Pisano, R.Santoleri, 2013: High and Ultra-High resolution processing of satellite Sea Surface Temperature data over Southern European Seas in the framework of MyOcean project, Rem. Sens. Env., 129, 1-16, doi:10.1016/j.rse.2012.10.012.
Parameters: (both for HR and UHR products): since 19th november 2011
SST_MED_SST_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_a V2 and SST_MED_SST_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_c_V2
Analysed sea surface temperature (analysed_sst,K,CF)
Estimated error standard deviation of analysed_sst (analysis_error,K,CF)

SST_MED_SSTA_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_b and SST_MED_SSTA_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_d
sea surface temperature anomaly (C°)

(usual parameter name, CF parameter, unit, convention) since 19th november 2011
Spatial resolution:
SST_MED_SST_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_a V2 : 1/16deg
SST_MED_SSTA_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_b : 1/16deg
SST_MED_SST_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_c_V2 : 1 Km
SST_MED_SSTA_L4_NRT_OBSERVATIONS_010_004_d : 1Km

Grid type or geographical projection:
Equirectangular latitude longitude grid
Vertical coverage:
surface
Temporal coverage:
since 2010-12-01 – to 2011-11-19 / since 2011-11-19 - ongoing
Temporal resolution:
daily
Update frequency:
daily
Operational or historical time series?
Operational
Files format:
netcdf convention CF/COARDS 1.4. GHRSST (2.0) L4 format
Guide to the products:
see GDS20r5.pdf downloadable from:https://www.ghrsst.org/documents/q/cate ... erational/.
Click on GDS 2 release 5