How to run a backtest ?

With soon inclusion of the NEMS NMM-B model into the EMS package, WRF EMS changes its name and becomes UEMS.
mehdi

How to run a backtest ?

Post by mehdi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering how to run a backtest (sometimes called hindcast if I'm not wrong) with UEMS. I don't mean donwscaling in time and space reanalysis data over a long period, I mean running UEMS as if it was in operational conditions : for a certain day running cyle 00 for 24 hours (for example), saving the forecasts, then running cycle 06 for 24 hours, and so on for a whole month for example. The artisanal way would consist in running shell scripts copying the run folder for every 24h simulation but 1. I guess there is something more clever to do 2. It's a waste of disk space because you duplicate a lot of static files.

Did anyone tried that ? Is the answer in the autorun routine ?
Thanks for any help

pattim

Re: How to run a backtest ?

Post by pattim » Fri May 12, 2017 5:14 pm

It sounds like you're talking about the way data is arranged on the data servers, like http://soostrc.comet.ucar.edu/data/grib/ ...so if I understand you correctly, you're trying to do an operational set of forecasts like that to check how your submodel (convection schemes, cloud schemes, etc.) setup affects your forecasting skill. Although I have never tried this, I believe that's in Autorun (check the docs and also read the Autorun file). Be careful to make sure data sources are available.

This is probably the best place to ask this question, but you could try the facebook page.