UEMS system signal 4. CPU not supported

With soon inclusion of the NEMS NMM-B model into the EMS package, WRF EMS changes its name and becomes UEMS.
lcana

UEMS system signal 4. CPU not supported

Post by lcana » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi all,

as other users, I got this same error. My cpu seems to be deprecated and I´d like to know if it is possible to download a full UEMS previous version (I was running UEMS by June without problems). Could you tell me how to do it?

Best,

Luis

lcana

Re: UEMS system signal 4. CPU not supported

Post by lcana » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:06 pm

BTW, version 15.99.5 was good for me. A cron update script updated my system to V 15.99.8 during August, which broke some executables (real and wrf), but not preprocessor programs as geogrid, metegrid, or ungrib.

Luis

overshotsine1010

Post by overshotsine1010 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 am

Does anyone know if maybe the instruction set for UEMS or WRF changed since around May? It was working for me then but now that I redid my Linux partition it throws the same Code 4 Illegal Instruction.

Intel Xeon X5570 Nehalem
"Supercell? Is that one of those comic book characters?"
- My Grandmother

lcana

Post by lcana » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 pm

There are more messages about this problem (illegal instructions, cpu not supported).

It seems that we would have to build our own binaries using PGI, intel or gcc compilers. Someone with experience on this? I'd like to see some advice of how to do it, because I've never tried to modify UEMS, just build the official-standard WRF.

Best,

Luis

overshotsine1010

Post by overshotsine1010 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm

It would appear as though WRF has changed instruction sets.. Someone on an i7 Nehalem is having the same issue. The question is since they added an instruction set, if the new source code is even compilable on our older processors. Otherwise we either have to 1> upgrade our computers, 2> use an older version or 3> hack together a workaround

- Justin
- My Grandmother

lcana

Post by lcana » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Justin,

I've tried to install a previous version but it seems that all have been erased from the server. You can only download the latest release by now.
Even more: there was a subfolder inside "utility" in order to allow to build your own binaries, but surprisingly this last version erased this folder.
Right now we're stuck, we haven't the source code for build binaries and we can't go back to the previous release. Any idea?

Perhaps some folks could share their package with us....

Luis

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:56 pm

overshotsine1010 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm
if the new source code is even compilable on our older processors.
Source code is always independent on CPU instructions. It is compiler and it's optimization flags that dictate wheather binary will run or not on target CPU.

overshotsine1010

Post by overshotsine1010 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:31 pm

WRF is distributed in source form. Since the source code is compilable independent of instruction set, It should just be a matter of formatting the directories, file names and locations so that the UEMS commands don't throw any errors. I haven't a lick of compiling experience so it'll be a challenge but I'll see what a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper and a few hours in front of Ubuntu and WRF Installation guides produce tonight..

- Justin
- My Grandmother

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:28 am

One of reasons why I do not use EMS anymore is that when WRF is compiled from source it is not fully compatible with rest of EMS system. UEMS WRF is heavily modified in order to enable outputting various data that original WRF code does not, and also UEMS UPP is too, so I'm not sure if current EMSUPP can work with original WRF code at all. This leads to too much mess so it show up that if you want to use your own WRF code, it is actually better to leave EMS altogether and write your own complete system.

lcana

Post by lcana » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks Meteoadriatic for the advice.

But, you're NOT using EMS or UEMS. Instead, you build your own binaries from the standard package and write your own scripts to run the full process. I'm right??

Well, I can build all binaries from the original WRF package, but I have no idea of how to write these shell scripts. Is anybody else doing the same?

If so, could you share your scripts? I mean post them as an example in the knowhow section.

Best,

Luis