gridpoint nudging?

Questions and other topics related to UEMS 15.
pattim

gridpoint nudging?

Post by pattim » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Does anyone know if Robert is planning on including gridpoint nudging - I see spectral nudging in the docs.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/12/3601/ ... 1-2012.pdf

I need to modify input GRIB files with single points (from weather stations) and assimilate that data via nudging. I *think* that requires gridpoint nudging, not spectral nudging. (Feel free to clarify/correct me if I'm wrong!!)

Thanks,
Patricia

EDIT: Apparently they are BOTH supported!

Code: Select all

#    The WRF allows users to choose between two methods of nudging, analysis or spectal.
#    In analysis nudging, each grid-point is nudged towards a value that is time-interpolated
#    from analyses. Spectral nudging is designed towards the nudging of only selected larger
#    scales, may be useful for controlling longer wave phases for long simulations.
#
#      For analysis nudging, select GRID_FDDA = 1   (Default)
#      For spectral nudging, select GRID_FDDA = 2

johnbasham

Re: gridpoint nudging?

Post by johnbasham » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:59 am

Patricia,

I have no idea if he will be adding grid-point nudging, but you have me intrigued. Are you planning on adding commercial weather sensor/amateur weather sensor data into you initialization 00 hour GRIB files?

If this is something you will be doing, I am VERY interested on how you will accomplish this. This method is exactly the same thing I have been wanting to do for a while now.
Warmest Regards,
John Basham
Project Director/Senior Meteorologist
The Storm Spotter Project
Fort Worth, Texas

www.JohnBasham.com