IMPORTANT - Changes in GFS

All issues/questions about EMS v3.4 package, please ask here.
nebojsa

IMPORTANT - Changes in GFS

Post by nebojsa » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 am

Hi folks!

Recently I've recieved this email:
Attn: WRF Users

Effective January 14, 2015 (1200 UTC), the NCEP GFS Analysis and Forecast System will be upgraded, bringing several changes, including an addition of 0.25 degree gridded output (0.5 degree gridded output will still be available), and a change to SST and soil moisture data in the GFS analysis file. There will be a modification to the file names, as well, so that files will now be in the following format:

gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p25.fFFF
gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p50.fFFF

Due to the changes, an updated Vtable will be required for running ungrib.exe in the WPS process. You can obtain the new Vtable here: http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/src/Vtable.GFS_new. This is applicable for all versions of WPS.

For more information please see the following page on NCEP’s site: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification ... fs_aaa.htm

-wrfhelp
Does anyone have information would and how if would this affect on EMS automatic procedures?

Best regards!!

Akio

Re: IMPORTANT - Changes in GFS

Post by Akio » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey everyone,

just, in case you didn't got Robert's mail. Here is what he wrote:
Good Friday everyone,

By the volume of emails I have been getting, it appears that some of you are concerned about the
impact of the upcoming GFS upgrade, scheduled for 12 UTC 14 January, on your local modeling projects.

Briefly stated, if you use the GFS for model initialization, the upgrade will cause your simulations
to fail (crash, spontaneously combust, taken for a ride, etc.), unless you follow the guidance below.

So I give you the "At least it works for me" update.

The transition should be straight forward with only a minor amount of effort on your side. I already
have the personal tiles for the new GFS data set flowing so you can make the transition right away if
you wish. This is all you need to do:

1. Make a copy of your GFS gribinfo and Vtable files:

% cp conf/grib_info/gfsptile_gribinfo.conf conf/grib_info/gfsptile_gribinfo.conf.orig
% cp conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf.orig

% cp data/tables/vtables/Vtable.GFS data/tables/vtables/Vtable.GFS.orig

2. Unpack the attached tar file in the top level of your EMS, i.e., </bla/bla>/wrfems

% tar -xzvf wrfems_gfs_2015update.tgz

The tar file contains the following gribinfo.conf files:

conf/grib_info/gfsptile_gribinfo.conf.update
conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf.update

And the updated Vtable:

data/tables/vtables/Vtable.GFS

3. If you want to start using the new GFS update files for model initialization right away,
(The data are currently flowing!), then simply copy the gribinfo.conf.update files to
the orignal filenames:

% cp conf/grib_info/gfsptile_gribinfo.conf.update conf/grib_info/gfsptile_gribinfo.conf
% cp conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf.update conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf

4. Note that the data source in the conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf.update file currently points
to the "parallel" directory on the NCEP server. Beginning with the 12 UTC cycle on 14 January,
the files will be moved to the "operational" directory. If you are using GFS personal tiles
then this information is meaningless to you. Uncle EMS already has your back.

If you use the full GFS data set for model initialization because you enjoy using the
additional bandwidth, you will have to make the following changes to the gfs_gribinfo.conf
file between the 06 and 12 UTC GFS cycles on 14 January 2015 (Unless there is a delay):

# For GFS data sets prior to January 2015 Update use YYMMDDCC.gfs.tCCz.pgrb2fFF
#
SERVER-HTTP = STRC:/data/grib/gfsp50/YYYYMMDD/grib.tCCz/YYMMDDCC.gfs.tCCz.0p50.pgrb2fFFF
SERVER-HTTP = EMSDATA1:/data/grib/gfsp50/YYYYMMDD/grib.tCCz/YYMMDDCC.gfs.tCCz.0p50.pgrb2fFFF
SERVER-HTTP = EMSDATA2:/data/grib/gfsp50/YYYYMMDD/grib.tCCz/YYMMDDCC.gfs.tCCz.0p50.pgrb2fFFF

# Comment or delete the following line after 06 UTC January 14, 2015! (Points to parallel run directory)
#
SERVER-FTP = NCEP:/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/para/gfs.YYYYMMDDCC/gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p50.fFFF

# Remove the comment (#) from the following lines after 06 UTC January 14, 2015 (Point to operational directory)
#
#SERVER-FTP = NCEP:/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.YYYYMMDDCC/gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p50.fFFF
#SERVER-HTTP = NCEPWWW:/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.YYYYMMDDCC/gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p50.fFFF
#SERVER-FTP = TGFTP:/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.CC/RD.YYYYMMDD/PT.grid_DF.gr2/fh.0FFF_tl.press_gr.0p50deg
#SERVER-HTTP = TOC:/pub/SL.us008001/ST.opnl/MT.gfs_CY.CC/RD.YYYYMMDD/PT.grid_DF.gr2/fh.0FFF_tl.press_gr.0p50deg
#SERVER-HTTP = NOMADS:/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.YYYYMMDDCC/YYMMDDCC.gfs.tCCz.0p50.pgrb2fFFF

That is all you need to do.

Now for some additional information that you may want to read:

A. Soon to be frequently asked question #1 - Where the ^&%# is my 0.25 degree GFS data set?

In addition to the beloved 0.50 degree Global GFS data set, which has been around since
the time of Lorenz, NCEP is adding a 0.25 degree grid to its quiver of model output.
Unfortunately, the new files are 4x larger (the calculations are left to the student), and
at 200+mb each, are too large to process (take too much time) into personal tiles on the
current EMS data servers.

Fortunately, this situation will be remedied with the update of the EMS servers later
this month, at which time I will be making the following personal tile data sets available
to users:

a. 0.25 degree GFS
b. 4km (actually 5km) NAM
c. 5km Alaska nest NAM
d. 3km HRRR (this is a big one!)

If you are still itch'n for some 0.25 degree GFS action (or just itch'n), you can download the
data set directly from NCEP (after 14 January) by doing the following:

a. Copy conf/grib_info/gfs_gribinfo.conf to conf/grib_info/gfsp25_datainfo.conf

b. Edit gfsp25_datainfo.conf and change "gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p50.fFFF" to "gfs.tCCz.pgrb2.0p25.fFFF"

c. Wait a long time for your data to download and process

B. Frequently asked question #2 through #57 - When is the next EMS release?! You said it would be available
in "March|June|September|December" of "2013|2014"!

Answer: I'm still working on it, along with the EMS server migration, as time allows, which is becoming
less and less all the time. My current (Not so) deadline is Spring 2015, at which time
EMS version 3.7.0.15.X will be released.

Enjoy your new GFS data set(s)!
Robert
Let's keep the fingers crossed that everything will work on Wednesday! :)

nebojsa

Post by nebojsa » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:37 am

Hello Akio,

Just testing this new updates...

Thanks!

emsiwx

Post by emsiwx » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Hello,

could any1 please send me the wrfems 2015update tgz file,.. I have not received the mail from Robert, homehow..

Thank you.

EmsiWx

Carsten

Post by Carsten » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Same for me, I did not receive Roberts mail. Please somebody send me the tar file!
Thanks a lot!

Carsten

nebojsa

Post by nebojsa » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Seems that ptile doesn't work yet. With this updates it downloads big gribs!

emsiwx

Post by emsiwx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes, Robert wrote that ptiles and few other download sources will be added after server migration (he hopes Jan), but probably spring 2015.

But what I use is.....I get one large grib for initial conditions and then all other boundary conditions are from ptiles ;)

EmsiWx

dominic

Post by dominic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Hello , I tried to run this guide , But When I go to run the family with the command " ems_autorun " does not work , try always ptiles ...

I resolve to come?

emsiwx

Post by emsiwx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello,

what do you mean Dominic?

EmsiWx

dominic

Post by dominic » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm

I want to understand is this: the ptiles continue to be available?