land use data

Questions and other topics related to UEMS 18.
pattim

land use data

Post by pattim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi All: I'm a little confused about the MODIS land-use data. I believe it goes like this:
(1) the "Use MODIS data" checkbox in dwiz only initializes the domain land use categories (via MODIS data)
(2) the ems_prep option --sfc sstsport |modis|ssthr (Appendix D9) also calls and incorporates diurnal surface temperatures.

This is important to my simulations because there is rapid construction (read: new heat islands, loss of vegetation) popping up all around my domain. Thus, I would not want the USGS data, but rather dynamic (read: up-to-date) MODIS data products used to initialize my land (mean surface reflection, vegetation indices - not sure what other surface4 data products eEMS/dwiz might be using).

Canuck64

Re: land use data

Post by Canuck64 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:11 am

For your area, you'll want to use the Green Vegetation Fraction (GVF) from NASA SPoRT. The vegetation fraction data is based on daily VIIRS satellite data and is the only way to get the most recent changes in land use, and changes in vegetation, either due to drought or moisture. Jonathan Case, a scientist at NASA's SPoRT program has instructions on how to setup the usage of the GVF within the UEMS and a script to download, install and re-initialize a domain.

lcana

Post by lcana » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Canuck64,

I'm interested in these instructions. Could you provide a link, please' Or where to find this information

Best,

Luis

Canuck64

Post by Canuck64 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 am

Here is a technical paper on the Green Vegetation Fraction product - https://nwas.org/meetings/nwas16/extend ... s/2716.pdf. Please be aware that it covers the United States and Southern Canada as far as 50 deg. North.

The person you want to contact is Jonathan Case and his email can be found on the bottom of the first page. He can give you the details on the GVF along with instructions.

lcana

Post by lcana » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks!