run GSM data SKINTEMP error

All other topics about postprocessing model data (GrADS and other software), about other numerical weather prediction software (including WRF-NMM and WRF-ARW discussion unrelated to UEMS/WRF EMS), and general meteorology talk go in this forum.
vongrads

run GSM data SKINTEMP error

Post by vongrads » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 am

Dear all,

Have you ever succeeded running WRFEMS using Japan GSM as a data input?
My problem is error when running ungrib.exe "SKINTEMP not found".
I also found the same topic from @antonix viewtopic.php?f=4&t=369&p=1692&hilit=skintemp#p1692 but it unanswered yet.
Any comment would be helpful.

Regards,

meteoadriatic

Re: run GSM data SKINTEMP error

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 am

Do you use original ungrib or you compiled it yourself?

vongrads

Post by vongrads » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:04 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Do you use original ungrib or you compiled it yourself?
i use the original

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am

Maybe this is a problem. EMS ungrib is modified somehow, and maybe, just maybe, because of this it can't handle GSM data correctly. Do you have ungrib compiled yourself from WPS sources to try?

smartie

Post by smartie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 am

If you're sure your vtable is OK you can try this (from the WRF FAQs)-
. If you are using Version 3.1.1 or later, SKINTEMP is no longer mandatory. You may run the utility program avg_tsfc.exe for multiple times, and create an averaged surface temp field TAVGSFC. Add this field to the &metgrid section of the namelist:
&metgrid
fg_name = 'FILE'
constants_name = './TAVGSFC'

In addition to the above, you will need to edit WPS/metgrid/METGRID.TBL. Find the section for SKINTEMP and remove mandatory = yes. This should allow you to finish metgrid.exe, and later when you run real.exe, it will use this field instead of SKINTEMP

vongrads

Post by vongrads » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 am

meteoadriatic wrote:Maybe this is a problem. EMS ungrib is modified somehow, and maybe, just maybe, because of this it can't handle GSM data correctly. Do you have ungrib compiled yourself from WPS sources to try?
ok i will try to use my own compiled ungrib binary

vongrads

Post by vongrads » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

smartie wrote:If you're sure your vtable is OK you can try this (from the WRF FAQs)-
. If you are using Version 3.1.1 or later, SKINTEMP is no longer mandatory. You may run the utility program avg_tsfc.exe for multiple times, and create an averaged surface temp field TAVGSFC. Add this field to the &metgrid section of the namelist:
&metgrid
fg_name = 'FILE'
constants_name = './TAVGSFC'

In addition to the above, you will need to edit WPS/metgrid/METGRID.TBL. Find the section for SKINTEMP and remove mandatory = yes. This should allow you to finish metgrid.exe, and later when you run real.exe, it will use this field instead of SKINTEMP
yes its finally succeeded, i have read WRF FAQs and use the latest WRFEMS that can treat SKINTEMP as not mandatory variable. But then i have another problem on real.exe (Unable to determine number of soil levels in met_em), since GSM data didn't have soil level it's fail to run real.exe. My next question is, is it possible to use soil level variable from another data? such as GFS?